Thursday, April 06, 2006

Leadership and Vision

The idea of 'vision' is important to all human behavior because, as recent research has confirmed, our brains cannot always distinguish between an experience we are having, a memory of a prior experience (deja vu etc.) or a memory of a prior visualization.

A vision is important to leadership for a couple of reasons. A person with vision is empowered by mental maps s/he has developed that extend beyond the field of immediate experience and suggest new possibilities for action and can be acted upon as 'real' extensions of the field of immediate experience. In other words this person can create his or her own future. This individual capacity becomes massively multiplied when the vision is shared by others. The relevant leadership attributes therefore, are to envision, create/share a vision in a meaningful way with others and act upon it.

This is an ongoing list of posts that focus on vision or visualization:


Technorati Tags: , , ,

1 comment:

Gina said...

Chris,
Thank you for sharing information on visualization. The
visualization concept is new to me and a little out of my comfort zone
but it makes so much sense. Which is why I started searching for blogs on the topic. Your information was most helpful!!

Last summer I attended a conference in LA for "Women In Technology"
(WITI). While there, I had the awesome opportunity to
meet Marcia Wieder. She also encourages visualization.

She and I spoke about overcoming fears to achieve our dreams.
Although my time with her was brief, I learned from "America's Dream Coach" about
the importance of stepping out of my comfort zone.
At that time I really did not know who this precious woman was
but later learned she had been on Oprah and PBS-TV.

Marcia's brief touch on my life made a great impact on me. Recently I
discovered her blog at http://www.dreamcoachdirect.com/ and
a Maui Dream Retreat she is giving away!!! I would LOVE to be able to
win that trip!!

I thought you and your readers might also be interested.

Thank you again for sharing and I'll be back to visit your site!!!

To success!
Gina